welcome welcome welcome and such..

welcome to my AS media project blog, this blog will be my "diary" of the whole year and the progress i make.
i hope it's up to standards and i know i'll enjoy putting it together, as much as you enjoy reading it maybe? ;p

mmm..

mmm..

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Location Justification (:

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
LOCATION LOCATION
LOCATION
I was very quick to choose that certain alleyway for my OTS, I knew when I'd finished my storyline where it would be shot and so went to the alleyway to observe it's potential. The lighting was very important and I felt the street lamps cast a very eerie glow and created distinct shadows that I really wanted for my Opening title sequence.
It was also very quiet so I knew we would have little or no interference (which we didn't during shooting apart from when we were outside the alleyway alongside Park Rd, a very long and busy road - see googlemaps and search "park road, spixworth").
The area around and overlooking to alleyway is very suburban and so i felt it fit the character's normal, comforting environment - yet it is morphed by nightfall. The fences along the alleyway also continue a fair way and are very high, this could link with the character feeling trapped or claustrophobic, running endlessly.
I then decided it would be a sensible idea to being filming before night fall as to establish which would be more suitable:
- filming in the light and darkening my film during the editing stage.
- or risk filming in the dark and hoping it will lighten during the editing stage.


In the first image you can see the street lamp gives off a very bright glow that (on the night of filming) also illuminated the damp ground adding to that surreal atmosphere i wanted to achieve, my character doesn't quite believe what's happening - either she knows who sent her the text and can't quite acknowledge that she's been found, or she's so taken aback by the text, it frightens her and sends her into panic - i want the closed in alleyway to reflect her feelings in comparison to the open road she stood alongside moments before.. in the presence of cars and a person she knows. I love the alleyway's suitability simply for the eerie way the light bounces along the alleyway, along the ground and the fences.

We came prepared each night with an umbrella just in case the weather turned on us and so the camera would be undamaged and the filing unaffected (water droplets on lense). Also for health and safety during filing, an adult attended during filming with the knife - to warn of passers by and in case a passerby was to question our motive to carry a knife in an alleyway (':
x

No comments:

Post a Comment